Scholarship Fund History
The Springhouse Worship & Arts Center College Scholarship was created in 1998 when the church was known as Smyrna Assembly. At that time, the Deacon Board of the church identified the Scholarship Fund as one of the needs within the fellowship and incorporated it into the church budget under the line item of Benevolence. In 2013, the Administrative Board changed the scholarship funding from Benevolence to a separate budget item.
Scholarship awards are determined by the Springhouse Worship & Arts Center Scholarship Committee. The Elder Board has created this committee to review applications, conduct interviews, and award the scholarship(s). There will be a minimum of one Elder on the committee. At this date the Committee members are: Jill Coble, Carol Manaugh, Frank Soper, Joel Oechsle, and Steve Grossman (Elder).
All applicants MUST meet the following requirements:
- Church membership at Springhouse Worship & Arts Center as verified by SWAC Youth Pastor or Church Secretary on the scholarship application form.
- A graduating high school senior or completing high school equivalency and will be enrolled in college as a full-time, first-year student.
- Plan to enroll full-time in an accredited institution of higher education.
- Intend to pursue a degree (ex: A.A/ A.S. or B.A. /B.S.) in any field of study.
The Springhouse Worship & Arts Center Scholarship Committee evaluates any exceptions to these requirements on an individual basis.
Applicant Packet And DeadlineDownload the Application
You MUST submit an applicant packet to the Scholarship Committee.
A completed packet should contain:
- A recent photo of the applicant
- A completed, word-processed application.
- Word-processed biographical narrative describing the applicant
- An official copy of the applicant’s up-to-date high school transcripts and college entrance exam scores.
- Three (3), word-processed letters of recommendation.
NOTE: 2018 Application deadline: Friday, April 6, 2018.
Interview, Evaluation, and Award Process
Once the applications have been received, every applicant will have the opportunity to be interviewed and evaluated by the Scholarship Committee. Each applicant will be contacted for an exact interview date and time. Prior to the interview, Committee members will be given a copy of all student applications for review and consideration. Candidates will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Academic achievement
- Extra-curricular activities (sports, clubs, work experience)
- Church involvement
- Student’s personal narrative.
All applicants will be notified regarding the committee’s decision.